Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Yuki Kawauchi wins Saitama Half-Marathon...

Monday, March 12, 2012

Yuki Kawauchi wins Saitama Half-Marathon...

Remember this guy? Yuki Kawauchi, otherwise known as the 'citizen runner' is a self coached runner in Japan who was trying to get on the national Olympic team. He had a 'poor' run in the Tokyo Marathon with a time of 2:12:51 and he shaved his head afterwards as a sign of his shame.

Now just two weeks later, he was back in action again last weekend when he won the Saitama Half-Marathon in a time of 64:26. After the race, he said..."It's a tough, undulating course, so I think a 64 is pretty good here. People were cheering and it got me going.  When they're calling out, 'Do your best!' that's all you can do.  In the sense of helping me focus toward doing my best in achieving my next goal it was a good race.  At Tokyo next year I want to make up for what happened this year."

Hair or no hair, I don't think we've heard the last of Yuki.

No comments: