Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Ballycotton '10' race numbers...

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Ballycotton '10' race numbers...

At this stage, everyone should have their race numbers. As I said in an earlier post, there is NO timing chip for your shoe despite what it says in the FAQ in the race booklet.

The chip is built into the flap on the bib as you can see above.This seems to be a new type of chip as other versions of chips on the race bibs have a much larger rectangular aerial built into them...e.g. Cork City Marathon. As you can see, the aerial on this chip is much smaller and as such, I wonder if it may present more problems in terms of not getting picked up?

I presume it's been tried and tested at many other events but it could be the very reason that the following instructions were issued....Do not cover the number with clothing or belts, etc as this will interfere with the timing. In other words, if you cover the chip with a piece of clothing that is damp then it may shield it from being picked up. This is the diagram as supplied by the chip company...


Remember that the transfer of numbers to another person is not allowed.You signed the entry form to say you wouldn't do this. Two years ago, this problem got so bad that the organisers took the unprecedented step of naming and shaming those responsible on their website.......see previous post. So if you can't run then just destroy your number.

8 comments:

paulo said...

got the number and booklet in the post. number was folded in the middle, so the chip was folded in the middle, hope this wont post a problem ????

John Desmond said...

The aerial part of the strip is pretty flexible and should be ok. I'd guess that they are all the same.

Anonymous said...

just a quick question. how far In terms of distance from the start are the car parks on race day. Reason I ask is I'm running the race but I must collect a family member from the airport in the morning. So I'll miss the last bus and prob will have to jog down to the start line jogged off from the car park, as I wont be there until 1.00pm. I don't want to hold up the race org. team. Would I be ok getting down to the start around 1.10pm?........also I would be hoping to run 54 or 55 min so hope to get up near the front few rows. Any advice?

Anonymous said...

Hi John,
another question for the guru of Cork running! I have been sick all week and am finally facing the fact that running Ballycotton is no longer an option for me. I am gutted! I would not have been fast but I would have got there and would have come home proudly clutching my new cup, a handy prop in perpetuating the myth that I am a 'runner'! My question is this - can I walk it? Do people walk it or is that something that is not done? Not even sure I'm up to walking it yet but it would be good to have that as an option to keep me slightly the right side of sane over the next three days!

Anonymous said...

1:10pm will be plenty of time at the start (rem the race doesn't start until 1:30pm).
As regards getting up near the front...... forget about it unless you are very pushy & rude.

John Desmond said...

Distance to car parks...this was in an earlier post. You would need to be leaving the closest car parks (1 and 2) at 1pm at the very latest and then jogging in.

Walking....casual pace...no. The slowest finishers last year were around 2h 30m....which is 4 mph...a brisk walk. See how you feel on Saturday night and make a call then. Using a jog/walk strategy, you should get around in around 2h 15-30m. If you still feel sick on Saturday night then even walking 10 miles will make you feel awful. Lots of liquids and Vitamin C in the meantime!!

michael said...

i thought i would be able to run but i started training too late.next year hopefully

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your help and updates. Best of luck to everyone on Sunday and above all else ENJOY the Day