Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Guest Post: The 407th Bere Island 5k parkrun ...by Ann Marie Harrington

Thursday, October 12, 2023

Guest Post: The 407th Bere Island 5k parkrun ...by Ann Marie Harrington


The 5k parkrun on Bere Island in West Cork has been going since August 2014 and last Saturday was its 407th edition. The numbers taking part varies greatly throughout the year with a surge during the Summer tourist season and then dropping way off during the wet and windy months of Winter.

Regardless of the numbers, it keeps going week after week and this is thanks to the dedication of the team of volunteers who turn out regardless the weather. 

Anne Marie Harrington was a marshal at the event last weekend and she wrote up a nice account of the parkrun. I think it gives a nice flavour of what the event is like.

Run Report - Event no. 407 ...by Ann Marie Harrington

I haven't written a report in a long long time, unfortunately I'm one of the ones who fell out of running, then the pandemic, but I never got the running bug back. 


YET, on Saturday I knew I wasn't going to make it there to walk or volunteer, but I figured I'd get to the village to do the marshal role there. having arrived at the club house late, I ran in to get the hi vis jacket, and ran back to my car, 'tis no wonder I can't run a 5k when I struggled to run 100 meters. 

Anyway back into my car to get to the village before the first runners were due to pass through, I did, but needn't have worried as the first 2 were both well used to Bere Island parkrun. Ray Smith was first to run passed me and in doing so recorded with a new pb of 19.50. Following behind him was Michelagh Murphy, who was 4 seconds off her personal best. Seconds don't mean much in the real world, but within the inner circle of parkrun every second can be torturous, especially so close to your pb, next week Michelagh!

So I was in plenty of time to take on my role as Marshal. While I was standing around, doing nothing, with my mind wondering I took notice of what was around me. All the different sounds but not the usual we would be accustomed to this time of year, there wasn't a puff of air, no waves crashing, no rain pounding, just peace and tranquility. What I took the time to listen to today was the crows "cawing" in the trees, pigeon "cooing" in the distance, the smaller birds chirping all around but not being seen, and the rustling of the leaves, not from the wind (there wasn't any), but the dead leaves falling to the ground. 

Suddenly there was this thumping noise coming from the back road, I was transported back to reality. The first runner was coming, I didn't realise I would hear the runners before seeing them. So Ray ran by me happily knowing the end was in sight. He was followed by Michelagh, a sigh of relief from me as she also knows the route, like the back of her hand. Next up was a first timer, Robert. All I could do since I didn't recognise him or other first timers after him, or indeed regulars but not locals, was ask...

Me: Do you know where you're going?

Them: NO, well kind of

Me: Keep going, right between the purple and yellow buildings, past the piggery, (I wondered after if they knew what I was talking about unless the pigs were out), keep right after piggery, you'll see the volunteers at the finish line......OR

Them: YES

Me: Great, so you know to keep right between the buildings etc imagine telling our new event Directors Joanne and Jim where to go..


So between each passing runner/walker I found myself noticing their different styles of running, some ran light, some ran heavy, some ran on their toes, some hard on their heels, some had short quick steps, some had long slow strides, and everyone breathing was different. And funnily enough some ran around the cars while some ran inside on the footpath, I wonder is it cm's shorter to run inside?

I must say it was quiet interesting to see all the different styles of running, while they all had the same motivation- to get to the finish line, get over the last of the hills, to finish their 5k Bere Island parkrun.

35 runners/ walkers, crawlers or joggers were in attendance today, of them there were 15 first timers, welcome to our parkrun, we hope you enjoyed it and will visit us again. We also had 4 new pb's, well done to Ray, Fionn,, Breeda and Tadhg.

The moral of my story today is by volunteering in different roles you can find different ways of enjoying a sat morning. I will volunteer as Marshal again.

Before finishing I must welcome Joanne and Jim as our new joint event directors, they have big shoes to fill. John Walsh has stood down as Event Director after 9 years at the helm. John had a vision he had to sell to not only us islanders but to neighbours near and far. I don't think he realised his vision would bring people from all around the world to our beautiful island and our unique parkrun. Thank you John for bringing parkrun to Bere Island, Joanne and Jim we welcome ye to you're new roles, thank you both for taking up the reigns, the very best of luck.


As ever thanks to Edel and crew for the post run refreshments, Edel and her crew Michelagh and Breandan do the parkrun every week.

Thanks to Colum and Bere Island Ferries for the extra ferry and the bus to transport our main landers. 

And our volunteers, we couldn't do this without ye, were always looking for more so if you have a sat morning free please take up a role, to let others run or walk.

Annie

Full set of results and volunteers... https://www.parkrun.ie/bereisland/results/407/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful article and observations!

Anonymous said...

I was at this run, a big thanks to the organizers and volunteers. It was great fun, but those hills! 😂
Everyone was very friendly, we will be back!