Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: European Athletics interview with the outgoing president of Atheltics Ireland

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

European Athletics interview with the outgoing president of Atheltics Ireland

Ciarán Ó Catháin is the outgoing president of Athletics Ireland, a role he has had for the last four years. In his day job, he is the President of Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT), a position he has held for 16 years. Under his tenure, a new indoor arena hosting an international grade 200m track has been built which has made a huge change to athletics in the country.

Excerpt from the interview..."The association was in a lot of difficulty because there had been a major issue," he says. "I had been approached to see if I would go in as Chairman of Finance and Risk. I did that for two years and I was elected deputy-President at that time as well. I said I would do that and then I was pulling back and doing my own job but they convinced me…would I go in and do the President’s job. In 10 weeks time, that request he answered for help comes to an end when he steps down."

The full interview can be seen HERE

As outlined in an earlier post, a new National Indoor Arena is being built in Dublin at the moment. If one can be built in Athlone then why not one in Cork?

No comments: