Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Giving your old Garmin watch a new lease of life...

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Giving your old Garmin watch a new lease of life...

I'm sure there are many of you out there that have bought GPS watches only to find that they developed problems or wouldn't charge properly. A colleague of mine bought a Garmin GPS watch from a local sports shop last March and ended up with charging problems a few months later.

In the following mail, you'll see his solution.....
I bought a good Garmin GPS watch from a local store last March (2012). It began not charging over the summer (once it was safely out of warranty). When I brought it back to the shop in September, all they could offer from Garmin was a 100€ option on sending it back to Garmin and getting a refurbished one back again, with a  fabulous 90 day warranty! This did not fill me with joy, and I didn't progress with it, but the watch eventually wouldn't charge at all.

On ebay I found a site http://www.fixyourgps.com/ with a 25$ option on fixing my watch with a better battery than factory fitted. I sent it off, not sure what I'd get back, and 9 days after dispatching it I've gotten it back and the battery is definitely much better than even when initially purchased. Thought it would be a good hint as I was nearly going with the 100euro option or replacing completely.



Needless to say, I can't vouch for that company. All I can say is that one person tried it and was very pleased with the results.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering did he do a software update of the watch. Its on garmin support and fixes technical problems like losing charge when suppose to be fully charge. Plus it free

Anonymous said...

Hi,

My watch was up to date on firmware when I sent it so I don't know would he have upgraded it. I don't expect so, as his service seems focused on battery, screen or other component replacement. He may do it if needed to fix the GPS perhaps.

Ian