Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Macroom Bypass 10-mile - A missed opportunity???

Thursday, February 16, 2023

Macroom Bypass 10-mile - A missed opportunity???


Back on the 27th of November 2022, local club West Muskerry AC organised a 10-mile and 5k road race on the new Macroom Bypass before it was opened for traffic. The numbers taking part were quite low with 187 finishers in the 5k race and 138 in the 10-mile. See previous post HERE.

I think the event was announced very close to the opening date and there was very little publicity about it.

After the event, I put up a post about the results with a link to some photos. I had a few photos up on Facebook about it and thought no more of it.

I recently had a look at the some of the traffic to the Running in Cork Facebook page and the various posts there. I put up three posts about the Macroom Bypass race on Facebook and the number of Facebook accounts that were reached are shown below.

I know from experience that you don't reach over 57,000 Facebook accounts unless a lot of people are interested in it. I know it helps that the Running in Cork Facebook page has over 18,000 followers but it was reaching a much wider audience with 57,300 , 39,500 and 13,700 accounts for three posts.

My conclusion is that a lot of people were finding out about the bypass race after the event and were interested in it. Was it a missed opportunity? Could it have attracted a lot more runners?

I don't know if anything special is going to happen before the opening of the rest of the Macroom bypass but I suspect there might be a lot of interest in another race before the whole stretch opens for good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a limit to entry of 5km race and there is no definite figure as to how many completed it as people who did not get a number were still able to do it either run or walk and there were hundreds. It was a fantastic event so it would be great if it could be repeated before the next section opens

Anonymous said...

As far as I know it clashed with other longer events around that time too which was a pity. Would probably have had an even bigger turnout if the timing was different too.

Anonymous said...

I’m sure it was a great experience and well done to whoever thought of it and organised it. I’d love to have done it but it was the day after the Clonakilty Waterfront so I couldn’t. I will look out for the next one. Go for it!