Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Guest Post: Functional Fitness ...by Pat Walsh

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Guest Post: Functional Fitness ...by Pat Walsh

 ** Functional fitness ** 

This is a term we use to describe our ability to perform each day. Is your general fitness enough to cope with life, work, family, hobbies, gardening, driving and any other functions the day throws at us? It can be age determinate and we have to accept some loss of function as we age but also we must try hard not to let it beat us. Running is the same, where you come to terms with age related performance and where you accept the here and now moment. I cannot repeat what I did 30years ago. I cannot train and compete with those much younger than me. It shouldn’t stop me.

One of the classics of Irish literature is ‘Fiche bliain ag fás’. It is a memoir written in 1933 by Muiris Ó Súilleabháin. He was born on Great Blasket Island. It explains how the life of a man is divided? 

Fiche bliain ag fás. Twenty years growing.
Fiche bliain faoi bhláth. Twenty years in bloom.
Fiche bliain ag cromadh. Twenty years a-stooping
Fiche bliain gur cuma ann nó as. Twenty years declining.

As you read this, then note I’m officially declining from today. Thankfully we have moved on a bit from the sentiments in the book and we can look forward to a more active lifestyle as we age. Life isn’t over at 60 anymore I hope.

What is life but our ability to enjoy the day, take part in activities and hopefully to stay that way for many years to come. Running or any form of physical activity needs to become a lifestyle choice, rather than something you do for a while and then drop. Consistency is better than intensity, participation is better than chasing the pb’s. You get out of life what you put in to it.

I have this thing where I get older but just never wiser,’ Taylor Swift

I’m doing OK, happy where I am and glad of my fitness while displaying a lack of sensibility. Your opinion may differ widely. Thanks to everyone who is reading the post and has supported me on this page. To anyone who has ever said hello or engaged at a race I’m deeply grateful.

Big thanks to my own crew who run with me. Invariably they are younger and help keep me feeling better about myself and to keep driving on. Fun, friendship, hugs and miles are better than any pill or potion to keep you fit and active. Laughing defies the aging process.

A new category awaits me. Did I ever think I would see M60 after my name. Sweet Je**s it’s a scary number. 

Favourite lyrics from ‘Rocky took a Lover’ where 2 homeless people lie on the ground and stare at the stars in the night sky. 

He said 'The sun gives life, and it takes it away
But like all the greats, it'll burn out someday'
She said 'I don't mind, I don't want to get bored
I don't want to end up beached on this shore
I want to be that star' .....BellX1

It could be my mantra. I want to be that star in the sky, I want to live life, I don’t want to be bored, I will burn out sometime. It is the enthusiasm and fun that we get from life is important, not just counting the days and years. Run while you can, PB’s and the watch are for young people. Live while you are living and get the best out of each day.


Todays plan is simple. We get the train to Cork and run back to Midleton. We haven’t done it before so why not. It is only 15 miles. There are lots of new cycle paths to keep us safe and need to be tried out. Life can still throw up new opportunities. Tomorrow I will do something I have never done. May there be many more.

Enjoy your body, use it every way you can
Don't be afraid of it or what other people think of it
It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own
Dance, even if you have nowhere to do it but your own living room
’ Baz

#pwr @  ancient

No comments: