Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Top US sprinter Tyson Gay fails drugs test

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Top US sprinter Tyson Gay fails drugs test

The shock news of the day in the world of athletics is the the top US sprinter Tyson Gay has tested positive for a banned substance and will now pull out of the World Championships in Moscow in August.

Gay was informed by the US Anti-Doping agency last Friday that he had a positve result on a sample taken on the 16th of May.

In a statement, Gay said...."I don't have a sabotage story. I don't have any lies. I don't have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on Usada's hands, someone playing games. I don't have any of those stories. I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down. Sometimes a human being naturally, generally trusts somebody. That's what people do."On his friends and family....."They already know it is some type of accident or some type of I don't want to use certain words, to make it seem like an accident, because I know exactly what went on, but I can't discuss it right now. My career and my name have always been better than medals or records or anything like that. I've always wanted a clean name with anything. Unfortunately I have to break this news, that I have a positive A sample."As for going into specifics, he said he wouldn't discuss it..."I have to go over everything with Usada first. I will take whatever punishment I get like a man. I do realise and respect what I put in my body and it is my responsibility. I'm going to be honest with Usada, about everything, everybody I've been with, every supplement I've ever taken, every company I've ever dealt with, everything."

Gay's best time for the 100m is 9.69 seconds making him the joint second fastest man ever over the distance. Only Usain Bolt has run faster. At the start of this month, he ran 9.79 seconds at a Diamond League race in Lausanne, Switzerland.


More developments.........According to sources in Jamaica, at least four Jamaicans have been tested positive for banned substances. The four...two throwers and two sprinters...returned the adverse findings following the tests conducted at the National Trials that were held from June 20-23 at the National Stadium. Two of the sprinters are Olympic medalists.

Dr Herb Elliott, the chairman of the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission, said he has not yet received any information on any adverse finding.

According to unofficial sources, a new supplement at a local based camp is being blamed for the results.

Unofficial Update...5 Jamaicans test positive...
Asafa Powell (4th fastest man over 100m of all time. Numerous World Championship titles),
Nesta Carter (5th fastest man over 100m of all time. Part of the Olympic Gold member 4 x 100m team)
Sherone Simpson (Gold medalist 2004 Olympics...4 x 100m team)
...plus two more ..

Email response to from Bolt's manager, Ricky Simms: ``I can confirm that none of my clients are part of this.''

The management company for former 100m world record holder Powell confirmed the 30-year-old had also failed a drug test.

Statement from Asafa Powell...
Justin Gatlin confirms to US journalist that he has NOT failed a test.

Mon 15th July...
Italian police raid hotel where Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson are staying and
have confiscated drugs. The substances are now being analysed to determine whether they're legal.

Sportswear company, Adidas suspended their contract with Gay and said that they are "shocked by these recent allegations".

No comments: