Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Guest Post: March ...by Pat Walsh

Saturday, March 02, 2024

Guest Post: March ...by Pat Walsh

 ** March **

As we arrive at the first of March, it is time to be getting serious if we want to hit some decent targets this year. Training needs to well under way if attempting an Autumn Marathon.

To March, also means to move forward. Progress from our current state of fitness to a higher level. The days are getting longer, so more time for daylight training.

As for getting warmer or drier we will have to ask Met Eireann about that.

I have a rule of thumb I use to analyse my own training week.

Train once in the week I am going backwards.
Train twice and I will hold my current level for a little while but it will eventually slip back.
Train 3 times a week (or more) to see some improvement.

The 3 times a week needs some clarification.

If you do the same run, on the same course, at the same pace all 3 times, then you will plateau after a while and no further progress can be expected.

The 3 runs need to be varied.

* Short and fast.
* Long and slow.
* Interval training ( stop / go ) or hit some hills.

None of the above is the vital session, it is the combination of all 3 that leads to some improvement.

There is room of course for some extra sessions if time, enthusiasm and fitness allow for it but these must be taken as easy runs. You cannot train hard all the time.

3 sessions allows for some rest days. If you decide to run during those days it MUST be easy.

There are some reading this who run most days of the week and fair play to you. That level was built up over many years and you are a different type of runner to those I am trying to encourage here. Just be careful and make sure to take the easy days EASY.

I personally cannot run every day and I must have rest days or the body will start to suffer niggles that turn into pain and injury after a while. I attempted a 40 day challenge a few years back and I know I did damage by not having rest days. It wasn’t the total mileage. It was the fact of no recovery days. 10 miles for me is better than 5 miles, 2 days in a row. 

Learn to know what suits yourself. We are all different and unique.

So March into March with a pep in your step and a new found determination to improve. Lecture over. Have a good weekend.

#PWR #keeponrunning

No comments: