Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Guest Post: The Equinox ...by Pat Walsh

Saturday, March 23, 2024

Guest Post: The Equinox ...by Pat Walsh

 ** The Equinox **

As I write on the 21st March, we hit the stage of the year where sun-up / sun-down is equal. Throw in dawn before sunrise and evening after sunset and we are ahead in light available.

Time to be thinking about a change in ourselves and attitudes. 

The year and the weather chart a predictable course, sometimes the change needed is between our own two ears.

Time to be finding the summer gear and starting to consign the winter woolies to the cupboard. (It is Ireland so don’t go mad)

Time to looking forward to some short evening races locally.

Time to be getting serious about any plans for a big Autumn run and clocking up the mileage.

Time to challenge ourselves in many ways.

Lots of runners look for races with flat routes and fast times. I can understand it but I don’t agree.

A hilly route with lovely views will always be slower but maybe a better sense of satisfaction when you finish it. 

A PB over a distance only applies to a particular course. Allow yourself the leeway to be slower but more fulfilled. 

Chasing that actual PB forever can lead to disappointment, whereas just doing the best you can, on any given day is a far more rewarding way to run and live your life.

I speak from experience and my own situation as one who is aging and slowing down. My PB days are gone, but an age related good performance is always possible.

However I’m as happy with some of my own times now, as I was many years ago. It is relative to the here and now and the fact I still am doing something. 

How many sports allow you to still participate at my age..? Answer.. Very few. 

So forget the moans, the groans, the worries and anything else that holds you back.

Get out into the light and just be magnificent. Enjoy lacing the running shoes and know that you are an integral part of something good, regardless of your time or finishing position.

Lecture over. No run today. The sun is shining, I’m going cycling (total hypocrite)

#pwr

No comments: