Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Guest Post: The 4th weekend ...by Pat Walsh

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Guest Post: The 4th weekend ...by Pat Walsh

 ** The 4th weekend **

It is a while since I tried a frivolous post so here goes.

Alarm went off early this morning. Dark, so very dark and you are questioning your resolve to get up early Saturday and get the long run done. We are 4 weeks into the New Year and this is the time that resolutions are being challenged. 

I wont let it beat me. No such thing as bad weather. The gang will be waiting and I love it but must it be soo cold and soo dark. 

Swung out of bed, Oh my Lord the hamstrings are tight, they will need some TLC before I run. The physio that told me they were like the legs of a table wasn’t far wrong.

The Breakfast of champion runners, a cuppa and a bowl of Bran Flakes. OMG so tasteless but I need the energy. Today is the day we tackles Popes Hill as part of the route. 

Thankfully I got the gear ready last night in case I had a total meltdown in plans. 4 layers found, gloves and hat, very little left open to the elements. The sky is brightening. Do a little warm up and a few stretches while the kettle is boiling. 

Random Spotify playlist on the speaker to break the early morning silence and just as I am beginning to move... it happens. 

“ The Greatest ” the ultimate running song.
Don't give up (no no)
I won't give up (no no)
Yes my buddy Sia has appeared to inspire and save the day. Kitchen aerobics are all the fashion.
With a bounce in my step I head off. What hill? What long run? I have this.
I am a runner, I run on Saturday as always.
“And uh-oh, I see another mountain to climb
But I, I got stamina
And uh-oh, I need another love to be mine
Cause I, I got stamina”


The sun is up, the gang are ready willing and available. I found myself again, why did I ever doubt it. We do it, we love it. Stretching credibility now—we sailed up the hill and coasted home. The reality may be different but we did it and will never admit anything else. 

10 miles done and the clock is south of 10am. Yes I am alive. Yes I ran. Yes thanks to my good running friends. The day is sorted. The weekend has found its fulcrum. 

"I'm free to be the greatest, I'm alive
I'm free to be the greatest here tonight, the greatest." 

I will sleep well tonight and no run tomorrow. 

Dedication to the weekend Long run is either total infatuation or absolute insanity. You decide.. 

#pwr

No comments: