Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Cork runner Dan Sweeney does 90 laps of the Lough for charity!

Thursday, November 07, 2019

Cork runner Dan Sweeney does 90 laps of the Lough for charity!


This is probably a recent ultra run that you may not have heard about.

Dan Sweeney from Bishopstown recently completed a 100km ultra in Cork City. Dan took on the challenge of completing over 90 laps of the Lough in 24 hours. With the aid of his support team, he started at 9am on a Saturday morning and finishing at 9am on a Sunday.

When asked why the Lough as opposed to somewhere else, he said..."Everyone's asking me why I picked The Lough but it's purely for ease of my support team. It's just easier for everyone because I can have a set place for people to give me food. There are a certain amount of calories I want to consume every hour. Some people said I should have run from West Cork to the city but that would be so difficult for my support team to coordinate and the roads would be dangerous when it got dark so The Lough made the most sense."

Thanks to the sponsorship collected, Dan managed to raise much needed funds for Edel House, a homeless charity.

No comments: