Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Guest Post: The Punt and the Euro ...by Pat Walsh

Saturday, July 25, 2026

Guest Post: The Punt and the Euro ...by Pat Walsh

 * The Punt and the Euro *

You read the heading and ask am I losing my marbles? Maybe

Has this anything to do with running you ask? Maybe

Wednesday night I ran the Bord Gais BHAA 5k race in Cork. 5euro entry and I reckon that relates to 4 old punts for anyone old enough to convert. I also came home with a free t-shirt. A pint in my local is north of 6 euro at the moment.

No, I did not win a prize, the moon hadn’t turned blue on this occasion. It was 23 degrees starting the race and we also got a tan top up free of charge. Luckily what I lack I talent and speed is compensated by a sense of self worth and humour.

We have been through currency changes, recessions, depressions, inflation, stagnation and all kinds of troubles with money. We have moved in 2002 from the punt to the euro but still the BHAA continue to give us a reason to run without breaking the bank.

All-Ireland tickets are priced in the hundreds

Ryder Cup tickets are priced in the thousands

World Cup final football tickets are priced in the loony zone for a single event.

Running gives us an opportunity to still be active and engaging in a sport we love while avoiding negative equity. I had so much fun. The usual hugs, kisses, handshakes, fist-pumps and the odd slag from a steward who wasn’t running. Thanks Annabel for the run company. You couldn’t buy for any money what enjoyment an evening like this can bring to you. Sustenance for the soul. 


What prompted this post?

I had a lovely chat and photo opportunity with Aine Murphy after the race. We both featured in a recent photo I shared from 1989 when we paid for entry in punts and I have no idea what it cost then. Probably 2 or 3 punts. Aine was 3rd lady home on the day, a great runner and a huge supporter of the Cork running scene. Last night we paid 5 euro to run and laugh somewhere at the back of the field. ‘The fun zone’. 

It was only 37 years ago and I dare say half of the 726 field weren’t even born then. We have both gone through a lot of age category changes since.


‘I've seen the world, done it all
Had my cake now
Diamonds, brilliant, and Bel Air now.’

Incidentally two Mallow men Pat Kerrigan and John Holland featured in the same 1989 photo and were participating in this weeks run. They were too fast to get a picture with them..! Alas I got a picture with the Goonies for my troubles.

Run while you can and for as long as you can. Forget PB’s as you age past a certain mark. The trick then is to find peace with yourself. We have seen it all, done it all but still continue to participate for the joy it brings. You will never regret it. You will get value whatever currency you pay.

Thanks Joe, Mick and Graham for all your wonderful pics.

#pwr

No comments: