Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Guest Post: PWR Part 2 - The future

Monday, November 29, 2021

Guest Post: PWR Part 2 - The future

 ** PWR Part 2 - The future **

On Friday, I am retired from work. Yes, you did read that correctly but no panic, I'm still running. It is only the day job I'm giving up.

It is totally voluntary, as there was a redundancy offer open and as I'm not far from retirement anyway, it made sense and was a total no-brainer to walk.

Don't get me wrong, I had many years with co-workers and I can honestly say I enjoyed the most of it, so I will miss the companionship, laughs, stories and general fun.

I joined the Department of Post and Telegraphs in 1980, which became Telecom Eireann, then Eircom and I leave Eir a long time later. Enough of that, Chapter closed.
🙌

"There is a tide in the affairs of men. 
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune" Shakespeare. 
Take your opportunities when they arise and who knows where it could lead.... from my Secondary School English. Long time ago.
🤓

What is next?
Well I suppose the traditional presentation of the Gold Watch to bring home and sit with the pipe and slippers doesn't really fit my image. A Garmin GPS watch and a new pair of runners would be far better for me. Spare me the Nike fancy shoes as my hamstring doesn't move that fast anymore.
The new bike needs to get some road miles.

There are hills and roads to be walked, nice routes to run, coffee to be drank and plenty of time to do it. 
I must do some of the beautiful Greenways around the country and The Wild Atlantic Way is calling. Feel free to invite me.

I would love to add to my sporting academic qualifications so who knows what areas I will dabble in. Maybe also look at some Creative writing classes. Every day is a school day.
Plenty books to be read and a promise not to get out of bed any morning until it is bright.
I'm qualified for Seniors Golf (OMG) so we will strike a few balls.
When do I get the Free Travel Pass?
🏃

Hopefully things get better for us all next Year and I will resume my coaching and planning for anyone who is interested in some event and needs guidance. Let me know and we can chat.
I love helping in case it wasn't obvious 🤣
🏃

So have a lovely weekend, I'm keeping things very low key as not the time for big gatherings or parties. A few pleasures to be postponed until a more opportune moment. Could still do the long run with the gang tomorrow, if they don't mind running with a pensioner. 
🏃

Take care everyone and I promise to write about running again soon but then who will listen to an old retired fella? Answers on a Postcard and send to: S Claus, N Pole, D25 M12.🎅

🎼"Go easy on me, baby
I was still a child
Didn't get the chance to
Feel the world around me
I had no time to choose
What I chose to do
So go easy on me" 🎤 Adele

#pwr #keeponrunning 🎤🎼

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Pat on your retirement. Wishing Laurie and your good self all the best on your next journey. With your running enthusiasm and expertise, adding to your sporting academic qualifications would be most beneficial in the Midleton area.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck in your retirement - enjoy it!

Darren said...

Good luck for your retirement, Pat and thanks for all your motivating posts during the pandemic!