Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Bolt bounces back with a sub 20 second 200m win in Oslo...

Friday, June 21, 2013

Bolt bounces back with a sub 20 second 200m win in Oslo...


Following his defeat to Justin Gatlin in the 100m in Rome in mid-June, the Olympic champion and world record holder Usain Bolt was back in action in Oslo at the end of last week...



In cold conditions in Oslo, Bolt won the 200m race in a time of 19.79 seconds, the fastest 200m time in the world this year. He also broke the 19 year old stadium record of 19.82 set by the great Frankie Fredericks.

Four more years at the top.......In a recent interview, Bolt declared that he was looking to stay number one in the world for the next four years. He said.......“I think I have four more years left in the sport, so now it’s all about dominating for those four years. I’m looking forward to the next Olympics to do something that’s never been done before. That’s one of my biggest goals right now. And for the next four years I will try to dominate the sport and show people that it’s possible to go on being the best, year in, year out.”

On his current form, he said......"I ran against the best field last season at the Olympics and I beat all of them, but this season is a different season and I’ll be taking it just like the Olympics because there’s a World Championship (Moscow in August 2013) that I’ll be focusing on. I’m definitely looking forward to the challenge. I thrive on challenges. Everyone’s going to bring their 'A’ game to the championship and I’m looking forward to it because running against the best is always a joy, so that I can show the world I’m the best.”

Olympic champion but still has to qualify......In the last few days, Bolt has been informed by Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) that he will need to run a qualifying time for the 100m for the World Championships in Moscow. Although he was given a wildcard pass for the longer 200m sprint, the JAAA gave the 100m wildcard to Yohann Blake, the current world champion over the distance.

The IAAF only allow countries to issue one wildcard entry per event. The trials start June 20.

No comments: