Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Guest Post: Diary entry 27th Aug 2022 ...by Pat Walsh

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Guest Post: Diary entry 27th Aug 2022 ...by Pat Walsh

 ** Diary entry 27th Aug 2022 **

“Na, na, na, na, na, Na, na, na, na, na
Life is a rollercoaster, Just gotta ride it “

Well you might ask why I’m quoting Ronan Keating lyrics..

Few possible reasons.!

I’m losing it, (No.. maybe)

Secret Westlife fan (No.. No)

I ran the Copper Coast Crawl today in Waterford and it was like running on a roller-coaster. (Correct)

As I get older it is important to document my days so I can look back on them. Today is one to view through rosy coloured glasses in years to come. I’m getting back my creative writing streak again.

Left Cork early this morning to journey to the Run in beautiful Annestown, Co Waterford and it was a dream morning to be making the trip. Crossing Youghal bridge to go from Cork to LaLaLand (Waterford), the land of floury Blaas and loose porter, we ventured into the unknown. 

No better or nicer bunch of people exist on this Island. They do welcomes, greetings and groundings all in one simple move…“Great to see you again you big old eeejit” is followed by a hug, and a genuine appreciation of your visit.

This is not a race, but a charity run and a joy to take part. 7ml, 10ml, and half marathon option. I’m from Cork so I go half, (they were right, BIG eejit).


Eoghan Keating 9th annual Copper Coast Crawl Saturday 27th August 2022.Delighted to be supporting Juniors for Juniors once again this year'

Running not racing, testing but satisfying, madness but we need madness.

Off we went from Annestown and headed up some beautiful trails and roads, climbing all the way. One superb trick that I have never seen repeated anywhere.

How do you recover at mile 2 from the first bad hill?

Simple


Stop the entire run to insist on a picture outside Eoghan’s house. Simple, beautiful, poignant, fun, welcome, inclusive.

After that little reminder of how lucky we are to be able to run, we took off again to either run up or down but never level. Is there a 100 metre stretch of road anywhere in this area that is level? Answers to Waterford Co Council please.

Dropping into the stunning Bonmahon coastal village about mile 9, with views to die for, all you can think about is the last 4 miles..!

As I climbed out of the village towards the old Copper Mines of Tankardstown I met a few Mountain Goats on their way back down who simply refused to go any further.

Then we drop down to Kilmurrin Cove. There, you are running along a scenic road about 60M above sea-level. Now all you have to do is drop down to the waters edge and climb back up the other side to the same height again. Have they not heard of Chair-lifts, Funiculars, Taxis..?


You are nearly there at this point so no point stopping or complaining (would we?).

Couple more small hills but at this stage I’m so used to them, I say easy-peasy.

And then we finish. Last 500 all downhill to cheer me up.

Folks, time to get perspective. Not a race a challenging run. Not official, except the depth of camaraderie among the participants. Sense of achievement as good as anything. Find your OWN run.

Fun factor..huge

Prize winners, NONE

Age category prizes, be thankful to be running.

Charity race as charity races are meant to be. If you want a scenic run there is few to match this in our Country.


And as we started and finished at a beach all in for a dip afterwards to cool down. The water in Waterford is about 5degrees colder than Cork. No Global warming down here. Sunny South East my A**e. Water straight from the Arctic.

Thanks Ian, Trevor, Patsy and all the Saturday Road Runners Crew. You are unique and I say that in the best possible sense. Thanks Helen Anna and Lisa for the company today.

Next year I will bring my climbing pole and crampons.

I hope in years to come I can smile when I read this as much as I am smiling this evening. 

Hope you are having a good weekend and never ever be afraid to share some joy, love and decent stories on social media.

#PWR Saturday Road Runners

No comments: