Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Results of the Ballycotton 10 mile road race - Sun 9th March 2008 (Updated Fri 28th)
It's only after you finish the race and leave Ballycotton that you realise what a well run operation it was. Parking was great and everything seemed to run like clockwork. It's pretty amazing when you consider how many people were down there for the race. Even when I was driving away, the one way road system with the stewards at the road junctions meant that I flew out of the place. I guess with all the years of practice, they have it down to a fine art at this stage. They even had bright sunny weather and held off the storm for 24 hours for us!! Not a drop of rain despite the fact that there were heavy showers elsewhere in the country. Those rosary beads down there must be well worn at this stage ;o)


It was good also to see that it started on time this year. 1:30 was the stated start time and 1:30 it was.

Regarding the headphone ban, I only saw one person wearing them. I presume most people observed the ban?

2008 RESULTS... (Updated Fri 14th Mar)

Here is the LINK to them in PDF format.

(They're fairly big! They may take a while to download)

Teams....The top 10 mens and womens teams can be found HERE.

The top 20 in each age category. MEN and WOMEN

Photos...

There is a good selection of about 240 photos up on the Eagle AC website. Most of them seem to be around the start of the last mile. Click HERE.

There are another set of 36 photos HERE thanks to John Hennessy.

There is another set of up on the Ballycotton website. (Updated Tues 25th Mar)

There is another large set up on the following website http://www.irishrunner.ie/BC10/BC10.htm .You can order prints from there if you wish to. (Updated Fri 28th Mar)

Comments...(Updated Fri 28th Mar)

Any comments on the race? Organisation of it? Do you have any suggestions on how you think they improve it? Just click on the comment link below, then select 'Anonymous' and it's up to yourself if you want to leave your name or not.

"I thought it was brilliantly organized and full of atmosphere. That final climb was tough - felt like quicksand. I'll be back......Anonymous "

"Well organized is right John.One of the best races going without doubt.What amazes me is the amount of organization and the price was still only €12. This is nothing short of amazing.
I got to Ballycotton good and early. 10.30am. I was wondering what I could do to waste of a few hours. Once I walk into the village there were plenty of athletes to chat to. The atmosphere was brilliant and time just seemed to pass so fast. Well done to all the Ballycotton running promotions crew. The bar has been risen. Thanks for a brilliant day....Paudie....Charleville "

"John, I have to say it would be hard to find even the smallest of faults with the whole day (maybe a few more portaloos). I would say it was a huge success. Getting in, getting out, the start (even the race itself from my point of view) everything was perfect. I think you must bear some of the responsibility for this successful event as anyone who had been following the build up on this blog would have been well tipped up on how to help make the day work. A great race and a great day. Thanks to yourself and all the crew at Ballycotton running. "

"I didnt know there were going to be hoola girls there. http://www.eagleac.net/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,86/?g2_itemId=12267 If I'd have only known.....Anonymous"

"This is the rainfall radar for Ireland just 8 hours after the race!! How lucky we were..........John Desmond"

"The last Ballycotton for me was 1999 as I have been living abroad in the interim. As always, a fantastic experience. John Walshe and his team really have it down to a fine art - even the weather - how do they do it?! There were times during the race running in a sheltered spot (not many of them) with the sun shining down and a hula girl passes you by and you just said to yourself "it's great to be alive !" Great job on the blog too by the way.....Declan Cox"

"It was my first year to run the Ballycotton 10 course and I was a little disappointed with the event. The water stops were a disaster. At both stops, I ran by there was no water ready - people nearly had to stop and wait. I didn't bother. I was about 5 minutes outside my usual 10 mile time. Most of it is my own fault though I guess, started near the back and it took almost one and a half minutes to pass the start line! Not to mention the time trying to pass people. But as I said, I can understand that and its my own responsibility but what really irked me was the finishing line. I had to stop short of the line as there was a tailback of finishers who had not or would not make their way down the tunnels! We were told to "keep our line" Despite this one person ran past everybody!................Anonymous"

"I have to agree with anonymous with regard to the water stops and the finish. I was stopped at least five yards from the finishing clock and only one tunnel open? Therefore my finishing time is out at least 4o seconds or more. I know I'll never be a "Sonia O'Sullivan" but accurate time is important to us who are trying hard to beat our last time!!!!! Other than than it was a fantastic event and well done to John Walshe and his loyal crew. Roll on next year!!"....Anonymous"

"I want to reply to the comment that was put up on 12/03/08. The anonymous runner said of his/her disappointment with some aspects of Ballycotton '10' 2008. I think that we can safely say that with 2203 finishers in this race, we are going to experience little problems in certain areas. Many areas are very confined, such as water stations, start/finish & changing area. This in some aspects is what makes Ballycotton '10' so special. These narrow, confined areas give it a certain atmosphere and ambience. The athlete then goes on to say that some of the issues are of his/her own making, such as starting at the back of the field. Must have been late arriving in Ballycotton! However, we at Ballycotton Running Promotions(incidently, we are all part-timers & rely on much voluntary support) always welcome any criticism that will enable us to improve our promotion the following year, but in order to do this, we require comments that are headed by a name, that will allow us to follow up on these issues. In the mean time, we will continue with our promotions, while trying to improve in all worthy aspects.....Tom Hartnett, Ballycotton Running Promotions"

"Thanks to everyone for their comments. I have to admit that from my own point of view, I did not see any of the problems mentioned above. I saw nothing wrong with the water stations or the finish but then again, I was in a different part of the race. The only problems I saw in Ballycotton were caused by the runners themselves...like slow runners starting at the very front and everyone trying to get past them!! I'm not sure the organisers can do anything about that. One of the big problems that I would think the organisers have, is that they just don't know exactly how many people will turn up on the day. This year, 2203 turned out compared to 1941 last year so obviously, that many extra runners puts extra pressure on the resourses available...be it the water stations or the finishing chutes. I reckon that if it was wet and windy like last year, none of these issues would have occured. The fact that they can hold a race like that with so many people and so few hiccups is for me, a pretty amazing feat.........John Desmond"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was brilliantly organized and full of atmosphere. That final climb was tough - felt like quicksand. I'll be back.

Anonymous said...

Well organized is right John.
One of the best races going without doubt.
What amazes me is the amount of organization and the price was still only €12.
This is nothing short of amazing.

I got to Ballycotton good and early. 10.30am.
I was wondering what I could do to waste of a few hours.
Once I walk into the village there were plenty of athletes to chat to.
The atmosphere was brilliant and time just seemed to pass so fast.
Well done to all the Ballycotton running promotions crew.
The bar has been risen.
Thanks for a brilliant day.

Paudie
Charleville

Anonymous said...

John
I have to say it would be hard to find even the smallest of faults with the whole day(maybe a few more portaloos). I would say it was a huge success. Getting in, getting out, the start (even the race itself from my point of view) everything was perfect.
I think you must bear some of the responsibility for this successful event as anyone who had been following the build up on this blog would have been well tipped up on how to help make the day work.
A great race and a great day. Thanks to yourself and all the crew at ballycotton running.

Anonymous said...

I didnt know there were going to be hoola girls there.
http://www.eagleac.net/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,86/?g2_itemId=12267
If I'd have only known...

Anonymous said...

I told the hula Gils that they made a great Fashion Statement!!!

Anonymous said...

The last Ballycotton for me was 1999 as I have been living abroad in the interim. As always a fantastic experience. John Walshe and his team really have it down to a fine art - even the weather - how do they do it?! There were times during the race running in a sheltered spot (not many of them) with the sun shining down and a hula girl passes you by and you just said to yourself "its great to be alive !"
Great job on the blog too by the way.