Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Fionnuala Britton wins Cross Country race in Edinburgh

Saturday, January 07, 2012

Fionnuala Britton wins Cross Country race in Edinburgh

Fionnuala Britton won the women’s 6km race at the Bupa Great Edinburgh Cross Country in convincing style today (Sat 7th Jan 2012). This was the Wicklow woman’s first cross country outing since her gold medal run at last month’s SPAR European Cross Country Championships in Slovenia. She dominated the race with impressive front running from the start, crossing the line in 21.32 minutes, 20 seconds ahead of Britain’s Gemma Steele and Elle Baker (GBR) in third. Britton was also the captain of the Europe team who competed against the Great Britain and the USA selections in a team competition.

Britton said: “To be honest, I didn’t know what sort of shape I was in. I’ve been training hard but racing is different and I wasn’t sure how well I’d run, so it’s nice to come out here and feel strong. It is a big event and I knew I was the person everyone would try to chase down so I knew I had to have a good race. Now I will look towards the track and the Olympics and look to get times in the 5km or 10km. I've been told I need to move up in distance so I will go get it now."”

Britton will again test herself against many of the world’s best at the IAAF Cross Country Permit Meeting in Sevilla, Spain next Sunday. She then plans to run the Antrim International Cross Country a week later on 21 January. In February she will return to Abufeira, Portugal to compete on the course where she finished in an agonising fourth place in the European Championships in 2010 when she takes part in the Almond Blossom Cross Country.

Even though Fionnuala has already qualified for the London Olympics in the 3,000 metres Steeplechase, it is felt that she may perform better in either the 5,000 or 10,000 metres. Back on New Year's Day, she won a 5k road race in the Phoenix Park in 16:15. To reach the qualifying 'A' standard for the Olympics, she will have to run either 15:20 for 5k or 31:45 for 10k.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

outstanding

Glenn said...

fair play to her, she made it look easy.

Anonymous said...

I was delighted for Fionnuala, she was superb. I watched on TV and it was an extremely challenging course. Some of the banks to climb were nearly vertical. As European champion, I assume the other athletes very much wanted to beat her, but to no avail.