'If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do'
We had the longest winter ever followed by a very warm settled phase that resembled a Summer and here we are now in August. Are the years flying by faster, or does our very lifestyle make it seem that way? Constantly going, always planning, chasing our tails and wondering about time and the lack of it.
The next BHAA evening race in 2 weeks is the last of the evening races for this year, how did that happen? Are we mentally ready for the passing of another season and head into another autumn / winter of running. There will be a good September, be optimistic.
To train regularly during the week and to run in a few races gives structure and a sense of achievement to counter balance the always on, super busy mode in life where we never get around to doing half the stuff we intended to. To look back later in the year at races completed and a decent training log is personally satisfying and a mental tonic boost in the midst of chaos.
Life can throw curveballs, life can be demanding and challenging at times. Life can get in the way of running if you are not careful. We need to run for our sanity and health. Don’t worry about time or how far. Just get out and breathe the fresh air. Slow down and enjoy the fact that your are moving. Life can wait until you get home.
I was running recently and spotted a fabulous hedge of blackberries that had just ripened. Perfection. A revisit later and the middle drawer in my freezer is looking good for winter. I have learned from the birds and animals how to be a hoarder too and plan for life ahead.
Start now.
I will train next week and the week after.
I will bring order and structure to my life.
I will embrace my running and enjoy it for what it brings to me.
I will drink coffee and travel to different places to run.
I will run a few races to be sociable and for the sense of purpose it gives me.
I will not entertain negative thoughts while I run and in fact I will try to forget I have another life.
I will not let 2026 pass me by without something notable notched on my belt.
I am not wishing my life away, in fact I want it to slow down. But I know I can’t. Next best is to bring order to the chaos and a feeling of something done.
On New Years Eve I will look back on the year and think it wasn’t totally wasted. Do the things you want to do. Don't wait. If I have collected a t-shirt and a medal from some run while eating my porridge with a few thawed out blackberries on top, then it will not have been totally wasted.
I got to Dunlewey Church this year. One less from the milk-churn list, yes mine is bigger than a bucket list.....!
To do the things you want to do once you find them
I've looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go through time with' Jim Croce
Have a lovely weekend and keep on running.
#pwr


No comments:
Post a Comment