Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Guest Post: The Bear and the Wolf ...by Pat Walsh

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Guest Post: The Bear and the Wolf ...by Pat Walsh

 * The Bear and the Wolf *

Oh, someday girl, I don't know when
We're gonna get to that place
Where we really want to go, and we'll walk in the sun
But 'til then, tramps like us
Baby, we were born to run
….. Springsteen

What a fantastic Summer we have had and while all hope isn’t lost yet for the rest of August and September we have to admit the evenings are drawing in. It was fantastic to be able to pull on shorts, t-shirt, running shoes and out the door. No need to worry about cold or rain. I went for a cycle one day and it took me 20 minutes to get the bike out of the shed, pump the tyres, oil the chain, test the brakes and the gears and then find my helmet and glasses. I would have a few Kms done at that stage running.

I do honestly think it is hard-wired genetically into our DNA to just run. Nothing mad fast, but enough to be moving and stay ahead of the bears and the wolves that chased us when we put our nose outside of the cave a few thousand years ago. We were running then and we evolved and graduated to running around a field or a mountain trying to mind goats and sheep. We have always ran. Nowadays the beauty is that we have a choice for our health and mental sanity. We are blessed to be able to do it.

There is no mention of triathlons or kite-surfing in the annals of ancient Ireland and no sport except for Cú Chulainn hitting a ball around the place with an old stick. People either walked or ran. The bicycle is less than 200 years old and you only swam back then when you fell out of a boat. We were born to run. There were running events in the Greek Olympics 2500 years ago. Some, like Mark English must have had very fast ancestors but I think I’m more related to Fred Flintstone. My instinct and breeding is to be in the middle of the field, the safest place to be in the history of human evolution.

Of course it is important to do different things and try our hand at every type of exercise. But when all is said and done you can’t beat an easy run, with good company in a peaceful scenic location and the sun shining down on us. It was also nice to be able to go for a coffee afterwards without the fear of hypothermia from wet gear and a biting cold wind. I know the farmers are worried about the lack of rain but as my lawnmower is enjoying a restful summer then I’m not complaining.


I met some lovely people while I travelled around this Summer and those beautiful memories can help shorten whatever winter lies ahead. Running is a great way of socially mixing, strangers in a race become buddies as the miles go on, and many a kind word is exchanged at the finish line.

Thanks to all for saying hello and your very kind comments about my posts. They are welcomed and valued. I write about what I see and feel as I run. Keep getting out to run and socialize, it is part of your nature and no fear nowadays of the bears and the wolves.

'I write to see and the seeing is through language'.. McGahern

Please don’t ever take me seriously.

#Keeponrunning

#pwr

No comments: