Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Running club in Dublin vows to continue after Gardaí attend race

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Running club in Dublin vows to continue after Gardaí attend race


The Trotters Running Club in Ballyfermot, Dubin held a running event back on the 13th of March for their members. Things things didn't quite go to plan as several units of the Gardaí turned up as well.

Shane Sheil, from Trotters Running Club said... “I didn’t think it would be an issue. A couple of lads were in a debate with them, I didn’t get involved myself. There was a lot of decent policemen there, they were completely oblivious as to what we were doing. The club was set up for everyone and specifically for mental health reasons, including me myself. If it wasn’t for this club, I don’t know where I’d be. So many people have said the same thing to me, they’re in the same boat. Mental health is a big thing at the moment. A woman’s body was found in the canal, another local woman died from suicide in lower Ballyfermot last week, a lot of people are out of work. It is hurting people. We are not well equipped to deal with it.”

The current COVID-19 restrictions prevent groups of people meeting up outdoors.

According to a local newspaper, members of the club and Gardai exchanged dialogue at the scene, but no offences were recorded.

Full story...
https://echo.ie/ballyfermot/article/running-club-vow-to-keep-going-after-gardai-attend-race-event

No comments: