Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Man runs marathon in garden during COVID-19 lock down

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Man runs marathon in garden during COVID-19 lock down

 

With the COVID-19 lock down in England now in force, 36-year old James Page decided to run a marathon in his garden and helped raise over £3,000 for Children With Cancer UK.

James has been in training for the Marathon Des Sables Ultra in the Sahara but this had been postponed due to the COVID-19 scare.

Rather than let all of his training go to waste, James took it upon himself to run 873 laps of his garden to complete a full 26.2 mile marathon for charity.

In an interview, he said.... “It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. In a weird way it was quite enjoyable. It was nice weather and the kids were out there watching me with my wife.”

“I wanted to go a bit quicker and get a personal best, but it’s hard to pick up speed as you’re running in such a small circle. I’m not the fastest runner, but I had to keep it at a nice comfortable speed otherwise it would be tricky at the corners.”

“You can really see the loops trodden into the grass,” he said. “My wife’s not really happy, but she knows it was for a good cause and it keeps me happy.”

The full marathon took 4 hours and 57 minutes and he switched direction every 20 minutes to protect his knees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super stuff