Saturday, March 05, 2016
Final post for the 2016 Ballycotton 10 race
1) Again a reminder........you SHOULD NOT transfer your number to any other runner if you are not running.
2) Don't forget your race number....stick it on the front of your singlet / t-shirt the night before. Remember, the timing chip is built into it.
3) Get there early! Get to the car parks in the fields by 11:30am and to the start by 1:15pm. Traffic is restricted a long way away from Ballycotton and you'll be directed to an outlying car park if you are late. Road side parking is not allowed by the Gardai. Avoid disappointment...be early.
4) Ballycotton T-shirts and clothing....
They will have a wide range of Ballycotton 10 merchandise for sale in the Primary School...t-shirts, sweatshirts & hoodies.
All clothing items will be for sale in Community Hall/School beside marquee, from 10am onwards.
6) Weather Forecast...Updated Sun @10am......After a cold and dry start to Sunday, a front will cross over the country during the day. The question though is at what time will it arrive?
It seems likely that the rain will arrive well before the race start. As you can see above, as of 8am, it is already raining in West Cork. This is heading eastwards and may arrive in Ballycotton before 11am.
10am......It looks as if the rainfall may be light. Gentle rain rather than heavy downpour.It also seems to be in bands so it may not be so bad.
The forecast for a light breeze from the south-west remains the same although it may get stronger as the race goes on.
It is likely to be cold with the temperature down in single figures. If you're not running too fast then consider a long sleeve top and a hat. There should be a gentle breeze from the south-west. The hill will offer some protection in the first mile but it is likely to be felt from miles 2 to 3 and 4 to 5.5. It should be behind the runners for most of the second half.
7) Car Pooling......As the fields for parking are wet, the fewer cars that travel then the better. The chart below shows the monthly rainfall in Roches Point for the months of Nov to Feb for 2014/15, 2015/16 & 2015/6...
8) John Buckley Sports will have a shop at the race headquarters at the school. They will have their usual special offers for Ballycotton with deep discounts off selected items....Ron Hill clothing Specials @ 50% off and Asics running shoes @40% off
......and finally here is a video clip from Fergus Meade of the start of the 2011 Ballycotton 10. You can see how narrow the road is and just how many people take part in this race...