Waterford AC cancelled their half-marathon yesterday afternoon giving people plenty of time to hear about it and not to travel.
As of last last night, the organisers were saying the following.......
Met Eireann has issued a orange rain and yellow wind warning for the WHOLE of Cork County. As of now the race is still GOING AHEAD as we have NOT been advised this will affect us directly in West Cork
Miles and Smiles travel safe The Clon Crew
A lot of people have traveled quite long distances for this event.
Update...Course inspected at 6:45am, official statement at 8am. People knew at 7am it had been cancelled and it took an hour to get a statement out??
THE CLONAKILTY WATERFRONT MARATHON REGRET TO ANNOUNCE AFTER INSPECTING THE COURSE AT 6.45 WE HAVE DECIDED TOCANCEL TODAYS EVENT. HAVING HAD HOURLY DISCUSSIONS WITH THE GARDAI, ,COUNTY COUNCIL ,AND OUR MEDICAL SERVICES THE RED CROSS .
WE APOLOGISE TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE IN THE PROCESS OF TRAVELLING THIS MORNING FOR THIS LATE DECISION,AND THOSEWHO HAD MADE THE TRIP YESTERDAY UNFORTUNATELY WHILE OUR ORIGINAL ROUTE WAS CLEAR TO RUN. UP TO 6 AM THIS MORNING DUE TO RISING TIDES THE WATER
LEVELS HAVE ROSE CONSIDERABLY LEAVING THE ROUTE
OUR ALTERNATIVE ROUTE FROM LAST YEARS EVENT WHICH WAS OUR OPTION THIS MORNING HAS NOW STARTED TO FLOOD . IN THE INTEREST OF HEALTH AND SAFETY WE HAVE HAD TO CANCEL THIS EVENT
WE APOLOGISE FOR THIS LATE DECISION THERE WILL BE AN UPDATE ON OUR NEW RACE DAY SHORTLY
OUR BEST WISHES
THE CLONAKILTY WATERFRONT MARATHON
1) High Tide......Please note that the high tide is at 12:26. Considering the amount of water in the river, it would be prudent not to park in a low lying area just in case you are in Clonakilty.
Needless to say, there has been a lot of anger expressed at the organisers on social media as they didn't cancel yesterday...
Waterford offered a full refund yesterday for those whom can't attend new date..No mention of the same in this statement.This "Organisation"are a disgrace.Not surprised.
You should have cancelled it yesterday!!! How many people have you put in danger on the roads in this crap this morning. Trees down all over the place.
Could learn an awful lot from the considerate and early approach Waterford AC took
This should have been cancelled yesterday evening when waterford cancelled there one. I'm sure met eireann don't put out weather warnings for the fun of it...
I've spent enough money already registration, hotel, etc, I'll take a refund thanks.
I understand that the force of Mother Nature is beyond the control of the race organisers, but the communication in relation to this has been terribly disappointing. If it was decided to cancel at 6.45am, why wait until after 8am to post an official announcement? I'm a local and can't even imagine how anyone who travelled in dangerous conditions from further afield must feel!
I will take a refund also this decision should have been made last night. I travelled last night and people are still arriving this morning. Not good enough