Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Derval O'Rourke announces her retirement from athletics

Monday, June 23, 2014

Derval O'Rourke announces her retirement from athletics


Derval O'Rourke was one of the top athletes in the country and today she has just announced her retirement from athletics. In a statement she said.....
“I’ve had an absolutely amazing career in athletics and for that I am so grateful to all the support I have received along the way.  It’s been a tough decision but it feels like the right time.  I knew I could compete this season, but not in a time to be in medal contention by European Outdoors. Going to a Championships just to be there, isn’t me. 

“The last competitive race I ran was the bronze medal I won last year at European Indoors and I feel like that was a great performance.  I’ve been extremely lucky with the team I’ve had around me, Sean and Terrie Cahill are the rock that my success has been built on.  Together we forged a way to be successful on a world stage and I’m incredibly grateful for their focus, passion and dedication.

“I’ve loved every minute of my athletics career but now I’m going to take some time to reflect what has been a very privileged job for me for the past 12 years and make some decisions for the future”

Derval O'Rourke Achievements
Gold - 60m Hurdles - World Indoor Championships 2006 (Moscow)
Silver - 100m Hurdles - European Championships 2006 (Gothenburg)
Silver - 100m Hurdles - European Championships 2010 (Barcelona)
Bronze - 60m Hurdles - European Indoor Championships 2009 (Turin)
Bronze - 60m Hurdles - European Indoor Championships 2013 (Gothenburg)
Fourth - 100m Hurdles - World Championships 2009 (Berlin)
Three-time Irish Olympian - Athens 2004, Beijing 2008, London 2012
Represented Europe at the IAAF Continental Cup in 2010
Irish Senior Record Holder -
50m Hurdles Indoor (6.80 - Lievin 2006)
60m Hurdles Indoor (7.84 - Moscow 2006)
100m Hurdles Outdoor (12.65 - Barcelona 2010)
She will of course be best remembered for winning the 60m hurdles at the World Indoor Championships in Moscow in 2006...(Derval is in lane 3)


Anyone who has watched Derval O'Rourke in competition will know that when it came to getting out of the starting blocks and over that first hurdle, she was world class. It was this quality that saw her win the 2006 indoor 60m title in a time of 7.84 seconds.

The chart below shows the fastest times by Irish women in the 60m hurdles indoors...

As you can see, Derval O'Rourke's times are in a different league.

This chart shows the fastest Irish times over 100m...

Just as Sarah Lavin and Susan Smith have times noticeably faster than the rest, Derval O'Rourke's times are in another league again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very best wishes to Derval and thanks for the memories. Without a shadow of a doubt one of my favorite athletes of all time. Her continued ability to perform to her finest at the highest level was refreshing. One can readily understand why she steps aside if she feels she cannot compete for medals. It has always been her belief that propelled her. It would be great if she would take a role in mentoring other athletes at the bigger stages as her steel can be absent sometimes in others.

IACAN said...

What a wonderful and long career this girl has had going back all those years to 1991 when she won the U10 60m., 80m. and long jump at the NACAI Juvenile Track and Field Championships in Tullamore running in the colours of St. Columbas AC Douglas, may we wish her all the best for the future.