Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Guest Post: Heroes ...by Pat Walsh

Monday, July 20, 2026

Guest Post: Heroes ...by Pat Walsh

 * Heroes *

Officially the heatwave is over in Cork as it only got to 24 degrees thankfully. The extreme temperatures were causing me and I suspect many others to slowly go insane through lack of sleep. I am NOT complaining. The winter was long enough and it is lovely to be out in shorts and a vest even if it is at 6.30am. Today was lovely and hopefully we get a few weeks of this. An odd night of rain to help the garden and I will be delighted.

Last weekend I met the lovely McRae family at coffee and had the pleasure of speaking to Elle-Kate before she headed off to the Under 18 European Athletics in Rieti, Italy. To say she did well is a total understatement. She was magnificent. Irish U18 400 Hurdles record broken 3 times. Irish U20 record broken twice. 4th in the final today… OMG keep an eye on this name. Olympics 2032.

I have written before about the great Billy Griffin a serious hero of mine. One early morning this week well before 7am when I couldn't sleep or stay in bed,  I met Billy while I was out on a peregrination on the Midleton Greenway. “Mighty morning Pat, great to be out running’ . Billy is 88 years young.

There is only 70 years between the 2 of them. Both heroes in my eyes. Running gives us everything and offers everyone a chance to shine at every level and every age.

'So shine bright, tonight, you and I
We're beautiful like diamonds in the sky
Eye to eye, so alive
We're beautiful like diamonds in the sky'


This is a kinda personal post as the last few weeks have been a bit introspective due to circumstances. Last Friday I attended an annual Cemetery Mass in Mocollop Cemetery in Ballyduff Co. Waterford where my late grandparents are interred. Moving, thought provoking and quiet beautiful in its own way. Thanks to all concerned. It would help keep one grateful to be here and still running but also appreciate those who came before you.


I can’t tell the future but if I keep an eye on the past and the present then I have some hope. Keep running, keep meeting and talking to the wonderful running Community we have.

#pwr


No comments: