Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: Irish womens team win Silver at the European Cross Country Championships

Sunday, December 08, 2019

Irish womens team win Silver at the European Cross Country Championships

The European Cross Country Championships were held this year in Lisbon, Portugal and Fionnuala McCormack led the Irish women to a Silver team medal.


The three scoring members of the Irish team all finished in the top 20.

Individual results HERE



Post race interview with Fionnuala McCormack... - Fourth 27:44.02
"It's difficult because I've come fourth so many times before, and it's very painful to be honest. But we got a team medal today, and that's good. We had a very successful team (european cross country) championships this year, I don't think we've ever won these many medals as a whole group before - and going into Dublin next year, that's promising. 

For me, as an individual, yes, it hurts coming fourth so many times before but the course was brilliant, the crowd were great - it's what cross country is meant be, I like that about it. The only thing I don't like, it's my position. I suppose I love running, and I really like competing, and it's easier when you stand on the podium, but having done that before I know what it feels like, so I keep trying to do it again. I suppose being fourth isn't that far away, so everytime I convince myself this year will be my year. 

I kind of moved to the marathon, but I never really moved from cross country, so it's nice to be able to be here, and be competitive and not just be just a number because it's my 16th time. It will be a big year for us next year - the last time it was in Ireland it was 10 years ago now, and we had quite high expectations for our team that year, and it didn't really come off so, hopefully next year, we can spread the pressure between all of us, and we can all be successful.  "

No comments: