Google+ Running in Cork, Ireland: UK elite runner Hayley Carruthers crawls over finish line for 2h 33m time in London Marathon

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

UK elite runner Hayley Carruthers crawls over finish line for 2h 33m time in London Marathon



One of the most memorable sights in the 2019 London Marathon was that of UK elite runner Hayley Carruthers crawling over the line to finish in a time of 2h 33m 59s.

The 26 year old who works in the NHS ran the first half of the race way too fast and had to give everything just to get to the finish line. It was also a three minute PB!




In a post race interview with BBC Radio 1, she said......"We started too fast and I got carried away with the excitement of being in the elite race and all the excitement of London really. We ran the first half far too quickly and it just ended up being a survival fest.

I started counting my steps and my head was gone, I think I lost sight in one eye. My legs felt like lead and I felt sick. It gradually got worse and worse.

To get to 20 miles and think I've still got another 10km to go - I genuinely didn't think I could finish.

It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I just couldn't lift my legs at all and I just couldn't move. It was just petrifying."







No comments: