In 2011, the Ballyhoura Active Series was established by Ballyhoura Failte with the aim of promoting physical activity and tourism in the Ballyhoura Region, while, at the same time hoping that the events will be a positive social occasions for local communities. With 9 races in 2011 and 11 in 2012, it has grown to a stage now where there are a total of 14 races this year. To accommodate this growth, the old Active series has been split into two new series.....the Ballyhoura Cork Road Race Series and the Ballyhoura Limerick Road Race Series.
Ballyhoura Cork Road Race Series...
1) Doneraile Park, Dan Byrne Memorial 5km trail race ...Friday 31st of May at 8pm - Mallow A.C. contact Denis Sheehan (087) 2461515 or email@example.com
2) Millstreet Willie Neenan Memoral 10km ...Millstreet A.C. Friday 5th July 7:30pm - Maeve Neenan (087) 2617001 or Maeveosullivan4@gmail.com for more details log onto www.eventmaster.ie
3) Kilworth Camp 5 mile race ...Friday 12th of July 8pm - Grange Fermoy A.C. contact Clotilde Fitzgibbon (086)3162145 or (086)8299017 Paddyandclo@eircom.net
4) Donoughmore 7 mile road race ...Friday 19th July at 8pm - Donoughmore A.C. contact John Morrisssey (087)2196075 / J.firstname.lastname@example.org or Sean O'Callaghan (087)9678344 / email@example.com .
5) Mitchelstown GR8km...Friday August 9th at 7.30pm - Galtee Runners A.C. contact Johnny O Sullivan (086) 2759248 or firstname.lastname@example.org
6) Doneraile 5 km SteepleRace ...Saturday the 14th of September at 11am - Awbeg Valley A.C. contact Brian Stack (086)2506932 or email@example.com
7) Charleville International Half Marathon ...Sunday 22nd of September at 10am - North Cork A.C. contact Michael Herlihy (086)3168954 or firstname.lastname@example.org
As you can see from the map above, the events are located in the northern part of Co.Cork and are within easy reach of people in Cork City and County as well as those in the surrounding counties. The flagship event of the series is of course the Charleville International Half-Marathon which is recognised as being one of the fastest Half-Marathon courses in the country.
All races in the series will have their courses measured accurately by Jones Counter and all have an Athletics Ireland licence. Post race refreshments will also be provided at all events.
Anyone completing 5 of the 7 races in the series will receive a special tech top.
For the duration of the race series, all of the information such as race flyers, directions, course previews will be available here as well of course, all of the results.
In some of the other counties in Munster like Waterford and Tipperary, race series have a hugely positive impact on race numbers. The Ballyhoura Series is still in it's infancy but it's already showing great results. It is hoped that as this series grows, more clubs will join and it will hopefully raise the standard, profile and number of road races in the region.
Details about the Ballyhoura Limerick Road Race Series can be found on the Running in Munster site.