Saturday, October 08, 2011
Race notice...Doneraile 5 mile race - Sun 23rd Oct 2011
This new 5 mile race is coming up in Doneraile Park on Sunday the 23rd of October at 2pm. Organised in conjunction with Awbeg Athletic Club, it has an Athletics Ireland licence.
Please note registrations close at 1:30pm. It is about a 600m walk to the start and so early and timely registration is critical.
Doneraile is centrally located in north Cork and is within easy reach of runners in Limerick, South Tipperary as well as Cork City.
The race has a number of unique features that set it apart from other races.
2) The Steeplechase......Many people will not know that the original steeplechase actually took place in Doneraile. While the word 'steeplechase' today is associated with an olympic track event or a horse race, the very first steeplechase took place here in the 18th century......(Wikipedia...The first steeplechase is said to have been the result of a wager in 1752 between Cornelius O'Callaghan and Edmund Blake, racing four miles (6 km) cross-country from Buttevant Church to St. Leger Church in Doneraile, in Cork, Ireland.). Drawing on that tradition, the race will start at the Roman Catholic church in the town and finish outside the Church of Ireland church....i.e. steeple to steeple. There will also be token steeplechase jumps at each mile marker but these are completely optional. There is no advantage to be gained by jumping them but might be used by some of the slower runners doing it for fun ;o)
3) Relay event.....might be one for beginners? Teams of 3 people can take part also. The first person runs 2 miles with the 2 others doing 1.5 miles eace. Please note that last registration is at 1:30pm. Allow time for members of the team to get to the start and changeover points.
4) Discount for Fit4Life runners.....This event is supported by the Cork Local Sports Partnership and Fit4Life members will recieve 50% discount if they enter through Claire Hurley at email@example.com
5) Golf.........For anyone wanting to make a day of it, the local Golf Course are offering discounted green fees for the 9 hole golf course...(€10 but must be booked in advance)
6) Juvenile races...While the main race is on, there will other shorter 800m and 1 mile races for juvenile runners...U12, U14 and U16. Entry is free but must be pre-entered.
In short, there is plenty there to make it a day out for the whole family instead of just turning up at a race and rushing away again. The entry fee is €12 and you can enter online at the organisers website......http://www.sportingdoneraile.com/
That site also has plenty of other info. A full preview will be posted here just before the race.
Here is a short video clip to give you a little taste of what the park is like...