In the mens race, the 2010 winner Sergiu Ciobanu returned to defend his title by winning in a time of 2:25:34, well clear of the 2nd man Alan Foolkes in 2:31:03. In 3rd place, local man Colin Merritt ran 2:31:59. Wieslaw Sosnowski ran 2:32:47 for 4th with Lorcan Cronin running 2:33:36 to finish 5th.
In the womens event, it was a case of third times a charm as Angela McCann of Clonmel AC won in a time of 2:53:31 having finished 2nd in both 2009 and 2010. Angela is runnning some great times this year having won the European F40 Masters Half-Marathon Championships in France recently.
There was a gap of a few minutes to the 2nd place woman Mary Scully in 2:57:11 while the 3rd placed woman Anne Curley was just behind in 2:57:38. In 4th spot, Mary O'Leary ran 2:59:16 while Ann-Marie of Eagle AC held off a strong challenge to finish 5th in 3:02:40.
(Updated 10th June)
The full results with categories for the Full Marathon can be found HERE
Approximately 1000 runners took part in the Half-Marathon and this was won by TJ McHugh (72:51) and Lizzie Lee of Leevale AC (79:45).
The full results for the Half-Marathon with categories can be found HERE
Relay...Approx 750 teams.......Provisional results HERE
Angela McCann of Clonmel AC winning the 2011 Cork City Marathon
Photos........(Updated Sun 12th June @2pm)
1) A nice gallery of 305 photos near the start of the race HERE
2) Another gallery of 333 photos HERE
3) A large gallery of photos by Gearoid O'Laoi HERE
4) Another large gallery of over 2000 photos by Doug Minihane HERE (Updated 8th June)
5) Peter Mooney has a small gallery of photo around the 4:45 - 5:10 finish HERE
6) Noel Kelleher has a gallery of approx 450 photos. Some great shots of the start, Silversprings and Patricks Street at the end....Click HERE (Updated 9th June)
7) Newphotostyle has a large series of commercial photos HERE
8) SportCam have a large gallery of commercial photos that can be searched by name or bib number. Click HERE (Updated 10th June)
9) A gallery of 76 photos near the start HERE (Updated 11th June)
10) A small gallery of 16 photos from Merchants Quay HERE (Updated 11th June)
11) A gallery of 175 photos from Penrose Wharf HERE (Updated 11th June)
12) A small gallery of 24 photos on the Marina HERE (Updated 11th June)
13) There is a searchable index of finishing videos HERE (Updated 12th June)
Irish International Racewalker Rob Heffernan of Togher AC
taking part in the Relay eventNow that the 2011 Cork City Marathon in over, it's time to reflect on it and see what went right and what went wrong.
Weather.......For the first time in 5 years, it was perfect. Nice and sunny at the start....soon clouded up......wind was light....temperature was in the low teens which for June is as good as it gets. The only bad point perhaps was the rain that arrived for anyone who still out on the course after 5 hours.
Half-Marathon........The decision to limit the numbers before the event was obviously now the correct decision. There was just too many Marathon and Relay runners on the course in the later stages for the faster Half-Marathon runners to try and get through. Obviously in future, the Half-Marathon will attract huge numbers but the format will probably need to be looked at.
So how did the event go for you? Any issues? What worked or didn't work? Did you run the Half? Click on the comment link below...
1) Short clip of the North Gate Bridge between miles 1 and 2....
A different kind of Marathon video. I had fogotten all about this guy singing at the start of the walkway until I saw this video...