See below the latest info from the organisers of the Ballycotton 10 mile road race......(only 2 weeks to go!!)
(1) At this stage, the race programme is with the printers and we hope to be able to post the race packages (number, chip, programme, sponsorship card) by Wednesday/Thursday of next week so every entrant should receive it at least six to eight days before the race.
(2) If people are unable to run, there is no need to contact us – we do not have a waiting list and do not allow the transfer of numbers. When we decide on our race limit we take into account a certain percentage of ‘no-shows’ so therefore numbers cannot be used by another runner. Also, in line with all other races, we don’t do refunds – at least in our case the fee of €15 is only a third or a quarter of what certain events charge!
(3) Each year we nominate a charity in conjunction with the race and this year it is the turn of Marymount Hospice. You will receive a card in your race package for this and we would ask that you consider making a contribution to this worthy cause.
(4) This year sees the 33rd running of the race and no doubt there are people out there who are taking part for the 20th or 25th (or maybe 30th!) time. We would love to hear from you so we can announce your name on the race commentary and also maybe the local media might be interested in your story.
(5) It looks like the race up front this year, for both men and women, will be one of the most competitive in years. A group called the ‘Marathon Mission’ was set up late last year with the objective of getting the standard of Irish marathoners back to the glory days and a squad training session has already taken place. Most of the members of this squad will be running in Ballycotton and as an incentive we are offering a cash bonus of €200 if the winner breaks 48:00 (men) or 56:30 (women). This will be in addition to the first prize which is €500.
(6) Finally – we need help! We would appreciate any assistance on the day of the race with regard to car parking, stewarding or finish line duties. If you are in position to help out, please email us or contact Tommy at 086-2386390.